Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jonathan Tropper's GREAT new novel!



One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning is to read a good novel. And this Sunday I found a GREAT novel--the latest by Jonathan Tropper, This Is Where I Leave You (http://www.jonathantropper.com/). It's the story of a 30-something guy, Judd, whose life is falling apart--and then his father dies and he must sit shiva with his family for seven days. Hijinks ensue, but the book is more than just clever and engaging. It's heartbreaking and truly funny. And I love that he brings an authentic (I presume!) male perspective to what feels like great chick lit (and that's a compliment since I love Jennifer Weiner, Elinor Lipman, et al). I feel like he brings me just the tinest bit closer to understanding men.

This Is Where I Leave You is my favorite book of JT's, right up there with Everything Changes, which is one of my favorite books of the past decade (along with Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True, Nick Hornby's About a Boy, Jillian Medoff's Hunger Point, and Richard Russo's Straight Man. Good company, huh?!).

I am both envious of his talent and success, and grateful I get to read the fruits of his labors. I hear his books are being made into movies soon...I can just see Jason Bateman or Tobey Maguire as Judd.

And imagine this: His books are shelved next to Mark Twain's in the bookstore. What a kick in the pants that must be!

I have recently started a gratitude journal after a tough month emotionally, and Jonathan Tropper's new book is one of the things I am grateful for. It's hard not to be in awe of such creativity--and he makes it look so easy.


No comments: