Friday, February 20, 2009

Picking the Oscars


The Oscars are on Sunday. A big day for me. Not only do I try to see as many of the award contenders as possible before the big show--a rough ride, since they INEVITABLY release a slew of depressing Oscar hopefuls in January when I'm feeling most low--but I make my picks based on copious reading of entertainment magazines and analysis of Hollywood politics. It's exhausting!

This year, I've seen everything but The Changeling with Angelina Jolie. (Blockbuster screwed me on that one...I was so close to seeing them all before the show! I may have to try and rent that one on Saturday.)


So, my picks are:

...Sean Penn for Milk (I really think Frank Langella should get it, but politically the tide appears to be with Penn)

...Kate Winslet for The Reader (it's her time and though Meryl Streep has a shot, I don't think she'll pull this one out)

...Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight

...Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (she was a force of nature in this picture, the only Woody Allen movie I've liked in ages)

...Danny Boyle for directing Slumdog Millionaire

...Slumdog Millionaire for best picture

...WALL-E for best animated film


Anyone want to post their picks?

No comments: